The Iowa Department of Transportation's Traffic and Safety Bureau is accepting applications to replace damaged, worn out, obsolete or substandard signs and signposts for cities and counties in Iowa.
Program Policies and Rules:
- Annual grant maximum:
- Cities: $5,000
- Counties: $10,000
- Grantees may apply for the sign replacement grant one year after their last grant was approved.
- Only one grant application may be submitted per application year.
- Grantees will be required to purchase the replacement signs. Reimbursement for the approved signs will be made upon notification of the signs being installed along with a copy of the invoice and proof of invoice payment (see Reimbursement Certification).
- The Iowa Department of Transportation Sign Shop, or another source, may supply the signs/posts.
- The grantee is responsible for determining the costs of signs/posts. Reimbursement will not exceed the annual maximum.
- A fully completed application and City/County Resolution must be submitted and approved by the Iowa Department of Transportation prior to ordering signs.
- Cities and counties not complying with the SRPFCC rules will be prohibited from applying for the program for two years.
- Only regulatory, warning, and school area signs, as listed here will be eligible for replacement. Examples are shown below.
Example of replacement signs
- Only signs that are in need of replacement are eligible.
- The replacement signs will be installed at the same general location from which the sign being replaced was removed.
- Reflective sign-post strips (for chevron posts only) are eligible through SRPFCC. A limit of $1000/annually (out of the grant maximum) for reflective sign-post strips will be reimbursed.
- Applications will be reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The grant program is not for ordering new signs that do not exist at the location specified in the application.
- An assessment of need and proper location and installation of posts will be the responsibility of the communities. Guidance to perform these tasks and all other information regarding the program is available on this website.
- The associated hardware for the mounting of posts and signs is eligible through the program.
Application and resolution (Both are required)
Inspection and installation guidelines